The American Civil Liberties Union of Nebraska is looking for a Communications Director to strategically and proactively increase the ACLU of Nebraska’s visibility across Nebraska. A successful candidate will advocate for positive changes in the civil rights and civil liberties landscape and grow the ACLU of Nebraska’s political power to energize the fight for civil liberties and protect our hard-won victories. The position is based in Lincoln but may require periodic travel throughout the state. A member of the senior staff, you’ll report directly to the Executive Director.
For over 50 years in Nebraska, the ACLU has worked in courts, legislatures, and communities to protect the constitutional and individual rights of all people. With a nationwide network of offices and millions of members and supporters, including an ever-growing presence in Nebraska, we take up the toughest civil liberties fights. Beyond one person, one party, or one side — we the people dare to create a more perfect union. Our offices are in the heart of Nebraska’s capital city of Lincoln. Our small but mighty 8-person staff is complimented by a contract lobbyist, dozens of volunteers, and thousands of supporters statewide.
The ACLU of Nebraska is an equal opportunity employer and values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction.
- Strategy: Conceive a broad vision for using communications to further the ACLU of Nebraska’s goals, and develop long- and short-term plans to execute that vision and measure progress. Determine ideal communications channels and tactics for distributing ACLU news, promoting advocacy campaigns, publicizing events, broadening ACLU audiences, and making civil liberties accessible and relevant.
- Integrated Advocacy: Collaborate deeply with colleagues in the legal and policy staff, as well as with national communications staff, to ensure communications and public education strategies and content support and serve the goals of the ACLU of Nebraska’s programmatic work. Work in partnership with relevant staff to co-produce external communications on legal and policy issues, including legislative action alerts, fact sheets, talking points, letters to the editor, press statements, and op-eds. Work in partnership with staff and coalition partners to coordinate speakers bureau requests and community education events.
- Brand Management and Marketing: Make sure that, through a consistent look and style, we’re speaking with one coherent organizational voice. Smartly raise the profile of the ACLU and our issues by helping colleagues prepare presentations for key constituencies and intelligently distribute ACLU-branded merchandize.
- Media Relations: Own all aspects of media relations. Draft and distribute press releases and advisories, pitch stories to targeted reporters, field media requests, manage a media database, draft talking points and message grids, make media statements occasionally, and arrange interviews with ACLU spokespeople and coach them to be successful. Monitor media for opportunities to engage and to evaluate success of media outreach.
- Digital Communications: Own and innovate the online presence of the ACLU of Nebraska. Lead colleagues to strategically generate digital content that engages and yields measurable action. Key digital platforms include website, email, apps, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Print Materials: Develop, distribute, and maintain print materials. Provide editorial and design direction, handle quality control and proofreading, oversee production internally or with vendors, and create and implement distribution plans in collaboration with key staff.
- Other Responsibilities: May participate in budget, donor, board or other meetings as needed, and other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate:
- Has a superb, deep relationship with the Nebraska media and has successfully directed media campaigns and trained and coached spokespeople.
- Has developed and implemented communications strategies with clear goals supported by effective strategies and cutting edge tactics, and has exceptional initiative, vision, and ambition to build a vibrant, strategic, proactive communications program.
- Persuasively speaks and writes for print and online audiences, and easily edits the work of oneself and others to correct grammar and sharpen prose. Distills complex issues into exciting and useful messages and shares it with targeted audiences.
- Flourishes in a team environment, being equally comfortable in lead and support roles.
- Is creative and fluent with Microsoft Office and interactive design, website and social media management, and email marketing strategy. Proficiency with digital content management systems a plus.
- Is passionate for, and has a well-articulated knowledge of, civil liberties and social justice, and a familiarity with the work and mission of the ACLU.
- Works effectively with diverse coalitions and community groups across the political spectrum, and values differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstances.
- Has excellent problem-solving skills and a strong sense of ownership over tasks, including follow-through, and is willing to do what it takes to get the job done.
- Is relentlessly positive and flexible.
- Will bring a strong commitment to excellence, an ability to work quickly but carefully, and a positive attitude and healthy sense of humor!
Compensation & Benefits
Salary range is approximately $55-65k and based on experience. Excellent benefits include vacation, sick leave, family leave, generous health and dental insurance with employee premiums paid 100% by the employer, a 401k match, cell phone reimbursement, and paid parking.
How to apply
Please email PDFs of your résumé; two writing samples, one that is traditional and one of online content, neither of which has been substantially edited by others; three professional references; and a cover letter describing why you think you’d be great at this job to email@example.com with the subject “Communications Director.” Please state in your letter of interest how you learned of this position.
To be considered for the position, interested applicants should apply before 5:00p.m. on August 15th, 2019. Applications received after that date will be considered if the position remains available. When the position is filled the announcement will be removed from our website.